Introduction

After much research and thought I have decided a whole food plant based diet is the best choice for me. Here are some recipes I use and I hope you enjoy! Most of my recipes will focus on whole food animal product free meals. I do like to bake some vegan pastries from time to time though they are not intended to be healthy but to provide a treat while maintaining a plant based diet. If you have any questions or comments feel free to ask away!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Veggie Quinoa

This is one of my favorites!  At my house we simply call this "Chinese".  It's also very easy to fix.  Let's get to it!

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups quinoa
  • 10 cups of your favorite vegetables chopped in bite sized pieces fresh or frozen (I like broccoli, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, chestnuts, and baby corn)
  • 3 cups juice  (Apple for sweeter, lighter flavor, orange for more tart, or try something exotic!)
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/8 cup corn starch
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 4 teaspoons hot sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot)
  • 2 teaspoons seasoning organic seasoning mix (I use an organic blend that is mostly dried onion and garlic)



Instructions
Start cooking the quinoa first in 5 cups of water, I use a rice cooker with the setting on white rice though it's easy to use a stove top as well.  Start stir frying the vegetables over medium heat in either a wok if you have one or a non-stick frying pan with just a little extra virgin olive oil.  Keep watching the vegetables and stir as needed while you start on the sauce.  In a separate pan or shallow pot over medium heat combine the juice and the soy sauce.  In a small bowl mix the corn starch with just enough water to completely dissolve it stirring with a fork vigorously.   This prevents you from getting lumpy sauce.  Add this to the juice and soy sauce and mix well.  Next add the molasses and the hot sauce continuing to mix well.  Then add the seasoning.  As soon as your sauce starts to bubble turn to simmer and stir occasionally until thick.  When your vegetables are done turn heat to simmer and drain any excess water.  Add the sauce.  Usually by this time your quinoa is done.  Enjoy!

Serves 4-6


No comments:

Post a Comment