Introduction

After much research and thought I have decided a whole food plant based diet is the best choice for me. Here are some recipes I use and I hope you enjoy! Most of my recipes will focus on whole food animal product free meals. I do like to bake some vegan pastries from time to time though they are not intended to be healthy but to provide a treat while maintaining a plant based diet. If you have any questions or comments feel free to ask away!

Sunday, January 29, 2012

African Bean Soup

I got this recipe from my store manager at Starbucks and it has quickly become a family favorite.  Thanks Emily!  I really enjoy the complex spicy and creamy flavors and velvety textures.   Equally delicious over a bed of quinoa or by itself.


Ingredients

  • 8 cups vegetable stock/broth
  • 2-3 Zucchini chopped into bite sized pieces
  • 2 sweet potatoes or 2 summer squash chopped into bite sized pieces.
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic salt
  • 2 cans garbanzo beans rinsed well
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 3 cups salsa (or a 24 oz jar)
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • cayenne pepper to taste
  • 2 1/2 cups quinoa (optional)


Instructions
If you decide to eat your soup with quinoa (I love it) start with cooking the quinoa.  Then place the vegetable stock in very large pot or crock pot over medium heat.  Chop vegetables and add to stock.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Heat until your sweet potatoes are cooked through or squash is the desired texture.  Serve and enjoy!  At my house we leave the cayenne pepper on the side for those who enjoy it a little hotter.



No comments:

Post a Comment